STAR provides short term, individualized support to families caring for a loved one who experiences developmental disabilities. The goal of the intervention is to preserve family stability and assist families in accessing needed services to avoid future crises.
The STAR Program Coordinator contacts an identified individual and/or family and begins to form a respectful partnership to identify needs, establish priorities and research available resources. There are many ways in which the program may assist families and individuals in need:
- Meet with families to listen and help complete eligibility paperwork;
- Secure funding for crisis needs such as respite, emergency travel or equipment;
- Assist families and individuals to find and access resources such as equipment, support groups, parent training, counseling and financial resources;
- Arrange meetings with other providers to coordinate family support services;
- Help in locating appropriate community resources in order to remain in the community of their choice;